Alcon has announced the launch of Clareon PanOptix and Clareon PanOptix Toric trifocal IOLs in Australia and New Zealand.
With its most advanced IOL material to date, Alcon stated that Clareon can deliver “consistent visual outcomes and exceptional clarity that lasts”.°,1-7 The Clareon clarity is born out of a glistening-free§ IOL material that is said to have among the lowest levels of haze and subsurface nanoglistenings (SSNGs) compared to leading competitor IOLs.†,*,1-3
“At Alcon, we are consistently pushing the boundaries to deliver transformational innovation to cataract surgeons and their patients,” said Ms Penny Stewart, the head of Alcon’s Surgical ANZ Cluster Franchise.
“Clareon is the result of robust R&D efforts at every level – inventive material science, advanced manufacturing techniques and novel delivery systems – to deliver exceptional, long-lasting clarity. Having the PanOptix trifocal now available on the Clareon platform is incredibly exciting.”
According to Alcon, the Clareon portfolio leverages many of the same design characteristics and optics as its leading IOLs to help deliver the outcomes surgeons expect.8,9
“Clareon offers sharp, crisp vision with a proprietary edge designed to help reduce glare and posterior capsular opacification.7 The lens’ unique and proven STABLEFORCE Haptics provide superior axial and rotational stability,”*,β,8-14 Alcon stated.
“Clareon has been extensively researched, with inclusion in 30 published studies worldwide. Australian and New Zealand surgeons were among the first in the world to have access to Clareon monofocal and toric IOLs, which have now been implanted in more than one million eyes across more than 70 countries.”15
Clareon PanOptix IOLs are the latest evolution of the PanOptix design. Alcon said that PanOptix is the world’s most implanted trifocal IOL.16,17 It was also awarded the Prix Gallen Award in 2021 for the Best Medical Technology. PanOptix offers patients the possibility of 6/6 vision at distance, intermediate and near, with continuous vision of 20/25 or better.¥,14,18
According to a statement, Clareon PanOptix IOLs are inserted using the next-generation, reusable Clareon Monarch IV Delivery System, which is designed to provide precise and controlled implantation and that was designed specifically for the new Clareon material.19
“Seeing how Clareon has performed in monofocal and toric versions of IOLs, we can see the material has withstood the test of time. It’s an excellent material, particularly in terms of maintaining optical clarity,” Melbourne Ophthalmologist Dr Uday Bhatt, who has been involved in clinical studies on the Clareon IOL, said.
Bhatt has also had early access to Clareon PanOptix: “It’s still quite early, but my early post-operative results are looking fantastic in terms of visual outcomes with Clareon PanOptix.
His experience with the Clareon Monarch IV Injector System has also been positive.
“This new lens loading system is much improved and works seamlessly with this lens, in my experience. It holds the IOL much better and inserts it nicely into the eye, and maintains its position while delivering. It also features an enlarged thread, which means you can inject the IOL faster into the eye, if you wish to.”
- Lehmann R, Maxwell A, Lubeck DM, Fong R, Walters TR, Fakadej A. Effectiveness and Safety of the Clareon Monofocal Intraocular Lens: Outcomes from a 12-Month Single-Arm Clinical Study in a Large Sample. Clin Ophthalmol. 2021 Apr 20;15:1647-1657. Doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S295008. PMID: 33907378; PMCID: PMC8068507.
- Werner L, Thatthamla I, Ong M, Schatz H, Garcia-Gonzalez M, Gros-Otero J, Cañones-Zafra R, Teus MA. Evaluation of clarity characteristics in a new hydrophobic acrylic IOL in comparison to commercially available IOLs. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2019 Oct;45(10):1490-1497. Doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2019.05.017. Epub 2019 Aug 6. PMID: 31399323.
- Clareon® IOL Directions for Use.
- Maxwell A, Suryakumar R. Long-term effectiveness and safety of a three-piece acrylic hydrophobic intraocular lens modified with hydroxyethyl-methacrylate: an open-label, 3-year follow-up study. Clin Ophthalmol. 2018;12:2031-2037 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30349186/.
- Oshika T, Fujita Y, Inamura M, Miyata K. Mid-term and long-term clinical assessments of a new 1-piece hydrophobic acrylic IOL with hydroxyethyl methacrylate. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2020 May;46(5):682-687. Doi: 10.1097/j.jcrs.0000000000000142. PMID: 32358260.
- ILJ466-P003 CSR, Sections 1-11 (v0.36) V-RIM-0049247.
- Das KK, Werner L, Collins S, Hong X. In vitro and schematic model eye assessment of glare or positive dysphotopsia-type photic phenomena: Comparison of a new material IOL to other monofocal IOLs. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2019 Feb;45(2):219-227. Doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2018.09.017. Epub 2018 Nov 22. PMID: 30471850.
- Lane, S., Collins, S., Das, K. K., Maass, S., Thatthamla, I., Schatz, H., … & Jain, R. (2019). Evaluation of intraocular lens mechanical stability. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, 45(4), 501-506.
- TDOC-0054028 (2017) – Clareon SY60WF Axial Displacement Study at Varied Compressions.
- Kramer BA, Hardten DR, Berdahl JP. Rotation Characteristics of Three Toric Monofocal Intraocular Lenses. Clin Ophthalmol. 2020 Dec 16;14:4379-4384. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S285818. PMID: 33364742; PMCID: PMC7751684.
- Lee BS, Chang DF. Comparison of the Rotational Stability of Two Toric Intraocular Lenses in 1273 Consecutive Eyes. Ophthalmology. 2018 Sep;125(9):1325-1331. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2018.02.012. Epub 2018 Mar 12. PMID: 29544960.
- Oshika T, Fujita Y, Hirota A, Inamura M, Inoue Y, Miyata K, Miyoshi T, Nakano S, Nishimura T, Sugita T. Comparison of incidence of repositioning surgery to correct misalignment with three toric intraocular lenses. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jul;30(4):680-684. doi: 10.1177/1120672119834469. Epub 2019 Mar 6. PMID: 30841757.
- Clareon® Vivity Directions for Use.
- Clareon® PanOptix Directions for Use.
- Alcon Data on File, 2021. REF-16511
- Market Scope 2022 IOL Market Report.
- Alcon data on file, 2022 [REF-18881].
- Modi Et al. Visual and Patient-Reported Outcomes of a Diffractive Trifocal Intraocular Lens Compared with Those of a Monofocal Intraocular Lens. 2020 Sep 28;S0161-6420(20)30677-1.
- CLAREON MONARCH IV IOL Delivery System – Proposed Instructions for Use – Final